Today, more than ever, airport security solutions and business security systems are of the utmost importance. Since emerging from the 2008 recession, the number of Americans traveling by air has steadily increased. The Bureau of Transportation Statistics reported that more than 700 million passengers flew in 2016, up an impressive 3.5% from the preceding year. With more than 8500 departures annually across the country, investing in state-of-the-art commercial airport security systems helps keep travelers and airport employees safe.
Although terrorism remains a constant threat, we live in an increasingly global and mobile society that requires goods and people to move around the world at a moment’s notice. Anyone who has been to an airport recently knows that American airports are busy, chaotic, and congested places. These cities within cities are hubs of not only transportation, but also commerce, transportation, and humanity.
Airport Security Challenges
Airports present unique commercial security challenges. The highly transient nature of airports can make it difficult to track and monitor movements; however, that’s precisely what airport security systems need to do. Modern airport security must:
- Protect passengers, vendors, airline personnel, TSA officials, and other airport employees.
- Identify potential acts of terrorism and prevent terrorism.
- Provide a full picture of the facility that includes perimeter security, cargo, apron protection, parking, control tower, customs and immigration, check-in, and retail.
- Include clear strategies and emergency action plans.
- Ensure that passengers and personnel move throughout the facility efficiently.
- Be highly reliable and easy to customize.
- Feature tracking, recording, and auditing functionality so that individual actions can be traced for safety, legal, and training purposes.
- Protect the airport’s image and brand.
- Network and communicate with a number of different systems.
- Encourage clear and effective communication throughout the facility and between all employees.
- Accommodate a range of security clearances and access levels.
- Integrate with human resources and federal agencies.
- Be scalable to allow for future expansion and growth.
3 Reasons Why Efficient Airport Security Solutions are Important
Inefficient screening, false alarms, and ineffective security measures are not only frustrating for passengers and employees, but they can also adversely affect airline schedules. Delayed flights reflect poorly on airlines, airports, and can increase operating costs and reduce profit margins.
Improve Airline Efficiency
State-of-the-art security systems have the potential to reduce airplane turnaround time and increase crew efficiency, saving airlines time and money and helping airports accommodate more flights.
Promote Passenger Spending
While safety is paramount, so is efficiency and expedience. Consider this: every moment that a passenger spends waiting in line is time that they’re not spending in revenue-generating shops and restaurants.
Must-Have Airport Security System Features
As airport traffic continues to grow, commercial airport security systems must adapt accordingly. Some features to consider when designing a new airport security plan include:
- Training and developing human assets.
- Video Surveillance, high-definition CCTV systems, thermal imaging, advanced image monitoring.
- Access control systems.
- Intrusion alarms.
- Airport-wide public address systems and emergency notification systems.
- Fire and air quality detection systems.
- Building management systems.
- Future-proof and flexible systems that can expand to fit current needs.
- Cloud-based analytics and mobile capabilities.
- Smart cost/benefit analysis.
To learn more about airport security solutions, commercial security systems, or business security systems, contact Herring Technology.